Friday, October 7, 2011

More on Tabatas

There's been some good feedback about Tabatas!  Thanks Don it sounds like you're liking them as an after-workout way to get in more reps, and your numbers are pretty impressive! 

I've found that in order for me to "feel the burn" during the ab exercises (particularly Russian twists), I need to use a weight.  As little as 10 pounds made a big difference but I think more wouldn't hurt.  The only thing stopping me from trying is the fact that I don't have any 15's.

My home gym equipment is sadly lacking.  I have a set of 35 pound dumbbells that I bought from a friend back in 1997 (There's a set of 10's and 5's as well but those technically belong to my wife) and a treadmill.  We also have a few stretchy bands kicking around that have come in handy. 

Oh and a sit-up foot holder that goes under the door and makes me think I'm about to rip the door off every time I use it. 

Tabata results have made me realize I don't need a lot of equipment to healthy-up!  I like that

If I wasn't 6'8" and 265 lbs it would be easier for me to find a place to do pull-ups/chin-ups.  Those door frame pull-up bars, I'm terrified to even try one for fear of the entire house crashing down around me.  Nothing fun about that! 

There's a storage space in my basement with a high ceiling and the rafters exposed, I'm considering mounting some handles up there so I can get my Tabata pull-ups going. 

I'm using Tabatas as a way to keep demand on my muscles so they don't shrink on me during my metabolic reboot process.  My body is toughening up, I can really tell.  I'm less and less having to strain in order to appear as though I didn't spend the second 15 years of my life eating garbage and sitting around. 

Progress is good, I like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment