Saturday, October 8, 2011

Gas Station Oasis of Death

Road trips can be a real pain in the butt.  Literally and figuratively.  I crunched some numbers the other day and determined that on the average I spend 2 hours and 50 minutes in a vehicle every single work day.  That's a rough average, but if the number is off it's off on the low side.  Some days it's less and some days significantly more. 

Whatever.  That's 14 hours and 10 minutes or so a week.  736 and 1/2 hours a year.  That's 30.7 24-hour days (an entire month), sitting on my butt in a vehicle.  It becomes fairly impossible for me to always have a healthy snack on my person during all this windshield-time. 

The scope of my life encompasses a heck of a lot of stops at gas stations.  Go figure.   

Have you ever stalked the isles of a gas station desperately searching for something to eat that wasn't poisonous?  I have.  I do.  Several times a week. 

I usually wind up with beef jerky, and even that is highly questionable.  Sound familiar? 

It's got all the salt content and whatnot.  Who knows where the meat came from. 

I did find something encouraging the other day, a fruit/nut bar called a "Kind" bar.  It seemed like the lesser of a thousand evils, so I snagged one.  Okay, two.  They were pretty good!  I did a bit of research on them when I got home and wasn't disappointed by what I found... as far as gas station food goes I have to admit I'm leaning toward buying them again. 

Maybe I'll order a case of them and stick em in the work truck, save myself a bundle of money while I'm at it.  It just makes good economic sense, see... myeah see... myeah. 

Good hunting. 

TSN

No comments:

Post a Comment