Thursday, October 27, 2011

I Steam Because I'm Lazy

As a clueless bachelor, I wasted years of my life eating 7-11 speedy burritos until I could literally smell it coming out of my pores in the shower.  My goal when I went into a grocery store was to get out as quickly as possible with as much cheap, fast and easy to make food as I could ram into a hand carried grocery basket.  At no point would I enter the vegetable isle. 

What an idiot I was!  There's so much tasty food out there!  Here's one thing I learned that has proven valuable time and time again:  Almost all vegetables are good steamed, and steaming is super easy and even faster than an oven pizza.  Can you believe it?  I can. 

We have a sweet steamer pan, it looks something like this.

Thanks Google image search.  You saved me from walking all the way into my own kitchen to take a picture of my steamer pan. 

Here's how it works:  Wash the veggies, chop em up and throw em in the top part of the pan (I throw in some butter too).  Put an inch or so of water in the bottom part of the pan, put the lid on and heat the whole mess on the stove until steam comes out of it for a few minutes.

The veggies get bright in color, it doesn't take very long.  I never time it, I just wait a few minutes and poke em with a fork, and if they're not still crunchy that's good enough for me.

I won't be appearing on iron chef, copper chef... or even Play-Doh chef anytime soon.  Whatever.  

We steam all sorts of stuff... zucchini, peas, green beans, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus... whatever sounds good.  The baby is all about some steamed veggies.  She'll happily munch until she's got a broccoli stem poking out of each nostril and milk in her ear. 

The moral:  Steamed vegetables are easy, fast, tasty and a hell of a lot better for you than a box of preservatives.  It's win/win/win/win. 

TSN

No comments:

Post a Comment