Saturday, October 1, 2011

Heartburn

The thing about TPT is that once you've made the fundamental changes in your eating habits, it's really easy to just keep doing it without really paying that much attention.  Once I got out of the habit of buying all that unhealthy crap at the grocery store, stopped seeing it every time I opened up the fridge or the cupboards, stopped hitting drive-through windows and started reaching for vegetables and natural stuff... now it's not a big deal. 

Still, once in a while I want pizza.  So last night we got this gigantic Sicilian pizza from a most excellent restaurant in town, picked it up, brought it home and tucked in like ravenous hyenas.  It was delicious; we knew it would be... but it gave me heartburn so bad I had to make a run to the store just to buy Tums.

Ordinarily that wouldn't even be noteworthy, but it occurs to me that I used to get heartburn all the time and kept buckets of Tums around just for that reason.  So why didn't I have any handy? 

Since I've been sticking to TPT at least fairly closely, I stopped getting heartburn. 

I can't explain it, but I can't argue with the evidence.  It's like so many other things;  our medicine treats a multitude of symptoms, but no causes.  My diet was to blame for my heartburn, not some strange disease or genetic physiological deformity or whatever esle. 

There are a lot of drug companies that would go out of business if people really started treating the causes of their problems rather than the symptoms.  We are a nation that coats problems over with little feel-betters while the root of the problems thrive below the surface.

Are we really such a depressed nation that we need fifty different anti-depression medications?  Or are we just eating so much useless crap food that our brains don't have the nutrients they need?  I'm really leaning toward the latter. 

It's worth putting some thought into, at any rate. 

TSN  

1 comment:

  1. YES!!! "There are a lot of drug companies that would go out of business if people really started treating the causes of their problems rather than the symptoms."

    ReplyDelete