Saturday, October 29, 2011

Bread and Ssambap

I'd be lying if I said I never eat bread, but I have cut back by some huge margin.  I don't miss it, or crave it or anything like that, but the loss that the convenience of bread provides was devastating. 

Sandwiches are so easy to make, they travel well and they're delicious.  It's hard to eat sandwiches without eating bread, so that alone cut out a giant percentage of my meal options. 

I mean, bread is just so dang easy to eat!  And it's everywhere!  Every meal comes with bread in some form or another.  Sometimes the bread is the meal, sometimes it's just alongside the meal, sometimes it's in a basket in the middle of the table before and during the meal. 

Restaurants love giving people bread.  Maybe because it's a comfort food. 

I've found that in lieu of bread, a big leaf of lettuce works pretty good as a wrap for lunch meat and cheese or whatever.  I actually like that a lot, lettuce is awesome when it's all crunchy. 

Check it out:  I got that "lettuce burrito" method from a Korean dish called "ssambap" (I had to look it up, and it's really spelled with the two s's like that) which is absolutely delicious.  If you get a chance, find a good Korean restaurant and give it a shot.  You get like thirty little dishes with different ingredients and you just mix and match what you want.

When the lettuce fails me, I just use a plate and a fork.  Ol' standby.  Pretty hard to mess that up...

TSN

No comments:

Post a Comment