Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Is Our Timeline Too Microcosmic?

Thanksgiving is tomorrow.  I think every culture that deals with a winter every year has some kind of fall festival/feast (we come up with various reasons to do it), which I imagine is because winters are tough and packing away a few pounds before it snows is a solid survival tactic. 

It got me to thinking. 

I always read about how people need so much of this and so much of that every day in order to maintain a certain level of healthiness. 

The numbers are always conflicting and the general consensus is always "Get more exercise and eat better food and you should be alright"

It really makes me wonder... wouldn't it be better to NOT eat the same amount of everything every day?  Does the body actually need a massive dose of (for example) vitamin E every single day? 

As long as it gets enough every so often it should be okay, right?  Aside from cutting out the obviously unhealthy stuff, why regulate the stuff you do need, like protein, carbs, iron, etc etc etc... to such specific amounts every day?  

The body is a pretty amazing thing in its ability to survive and to adapt to challenges and changes.  Knowing that really makes me doubt that I need to regulate the amount that I get of each and every dietary supplement every single day. 

It seems to me that we should think about nutrition on a much longer timeline than "daily". 

Naturally there's no science in what I'm saying, just a general feeling that the way we think about nutrition is still a little bit broken. 

Any thoughts?

TSN

No comments:

Post a Comment